Our reader AAron thins the next camera might be the TG-7. This is what he did send to me:
- There is the IM024 leaks from China/Russia
- The IM024 specs matched previous Tough series
- Not kit equivalent announced for (likely a non-M43 body)
- Able to withstand -10C (like the TG-6)
- The smaller bandwidth (2.4 GHz) is more in line with a Tough camera than a 43 body
- It would be consistent with previous Tough release schedules:
- TG-4 Announced: April 13th, 2015
- TG-5: Announced: May 17th, 2017
- TG-6: Announced: May 22nd, 2019
- TG-7: Spring of 2021 is a logical inference
- OMDS has said on repeated occasions this year they are committed to the Tough lineup.
- Then lastly there is the PhotoVlogger News:
- He claims he was given these specs from multiple sources that matched each other
- Same sensor size and resolution (12mp & 1/2.3-inch), but the sensor will be newer
- Max aperture changed from 2.0 to 1.8 (a big improvement)
- Same focal length (25-100mm eq) but now subdivided by 6x instead of 4x (possibly a marketing gimmick)
- It appears this will have 4k60p (a big improvement over the TG-6 which had 4k30p)
A source told me that Panasonic will make a major MFT announcement as a general tribute to this year: It’s now the Lumix 20th anniversary! I guess the GH6 would fit perfectly for the occasion!
The Swiss website Digitech intervewed MR. Sandro Rymann. He confirmed that they will announce a new camera “within weeks” and this will not be the only camera coming this year! I guess this new camera may a be a Tough model…
– OMD Digital employs 200 people in Europe (before the move to OM Digital they were 400)
– It’s likely we will develop less entry level models
– Smartphones will never be able to track animals at a distance. That’s a niche were MFT will always have it’s advantage also over Full Frame (lighter gear to carry).
– There will be a nw Tough camera model
– We can use the “Olympus” name for many years (many more years than actually initially expected).
A source told me this:
OMDS is developing M. Zuiko Digital ED 100mm F2.8 IS PRO 2:1 Macro lens! It will come soon!
The lens was teased on the roadmap (without real specs) and an Olympus Germany manager talked about it. So I am pretty sure this rumor will turn out be true very soon!
Photolari attended a Panasonic press conference and there managers told them this:
The Panasonic GH5 successor will be unveiled within 2021.
They have not unveiled anything about the possible specs. But it’s highly likely that it will have a 30+ MP sensor that can record 8K. Such a sensor already exists and Sony published the specs here:
Still, no guarantee yet this is the sensor that Panasonic is going to use. But hard to believe they will miss the 8K train :)
Gizmochina is pretty certain the rumors circulating lately are true: Olympus and Samsung will enter a partnership. Samsung would benefit of the “Olympus” photography brand name on their lenses.
What’s in for use “normal” MFT users? Nothing yet, but Samsung also makes great image sensors and I would love Samsung to offer MFT sensors to OM Digital! After all Olympus still has a stake in the new company. I am dreaming for now :)