Miquel Àngel Garcia, manager of Olympus Spain (Image courtesy Quesabesde).
I am really surprised to read a clear statement like that! Miquel Àngel Garcia just said in an interview at Quesabesde (translation here) that the E-5 successor will be a hybrid FT and MFT model capable of using both lens ranges with their full potential! So there will be no “Normal” Four Thirds E-7 but rather a native Micro Four Thirds cameras with a 100% compatible FT solution. He didn’t specify if there will be a sort of integrated or external adapter or a modular approach. The camera is definitely coming in late 2013 (he said!). Miguel didn’t unveil the name and the specs. He says that this is a camera for “those who want the feel of an SLR and at the same time take advantage of a small system“.
1) no “classic” Four Thirds E-7 coming! You should expect a hybrid high end MFT camera with full FT support.
2) That camera is coming in late 2013
3) Development started back in 2009 and the camera cannot be compared to anything Olympus released before that.
UPDATE: Also DSLRmagazine (translation here) got a confirmation from Olympus(!) that the info about a hybrid MFT and FT camera is correct!!! They also added that the project name started back in 2009 is “Kasei”. And a selcted and secret group of 13 members worked on the project!
Now let me enlarge the discussion to some key features I think that camera should have:
1) Full compatible AF for any MFT and FT lens. This means have phase detection AF…likely on sensor like the latest Sony NEX-5r and Sony NEX-6 cameras
2) I am still one of these guys in that like to use optical viewfinders. E camera aimed for both FT and MFT users should in my dreamworld have a hybrid EVF and OVF solution like (and if possible better) the Fuji X PRO 1.
3) A pro camera has to feel like a pro camera. So it shouldn’t be too small.
4) The FT component of the cameras should be detachable. A modern version of the [shoplink 31778 ebay]Leica Visoflex (here on eBay)[/shoplink].
What are yout thoughts? Comment your posts with your suggestions and I may start a poll on this soon…
Olympus E-5 at [shopcountry 17163].
Leica Visoflex auctions on Slidoo.