A chinese 43rumors reader wrote me he saw the E-P1 and there is a video mode on the top dial button. He want tell me more…
Thom Hogan is one of the most famous Nikon reviewers (bythom.com). Normally he is only active inside the nikon dpreview forum, writing very interesting articles. But now he made a small jump into the Olympus dpreview forum. Maybe he is ready for the E-P1? ;)
“I almost always have big pockets available to me. Either a vest or a jacket or sometimes even cargo pockets on my pants/shorts. Likewise the small fanny pack I wear when running/biking. If the camera and lens combos I want fit there, I have a winner. The LX3, G10, Ricoh G200, even DP2 all fall into that category. All have liabilities that I think m4/3 would solve, though.”
“It’ll also give Oly the first real burst of significant growth and market share change they’ve had in a long time.”
“So what would I do if I were Oly?
1. Kill most of the full 4/3 models. Create consumer m4/3 and high-end m4/3.
2. Followup to the E-3 needs a big size reduction (about the same amount as I need to reduce personally ;~).
3. Introduce a mFX (full frame). Small size, high performance full frame. Nikon and Canon have left that hole for anyone to exploit.”
I just want to say that Thom is one of the most serious, competent and friendly people I have met inside the dpreview forum. His website is worth visiting!
Inside slrclub (a korean forum) there is a post from a person who claims to have seen the E-P1.
The interesting part are (google translation text):
1) “And live view through the image shake correction check ... Unlike existing DSLR live view…”. I
2) “It’s not that tall and 17mm lens mount…”
3) “Still should be a silver color .. yellow leather…”
P.S.: May some korean reader can help us and make a small summary. Not everything is understandable with the google translation!
And thanks “wildone” we have a better translation:
Summary of the article and the comments…
1. The design of E-P1 is quite different from previous mock-up model. Lens design remains same.
2. Image stabilization
4. It looks slightly bigger than orange mock-up model.
5. Even with 17mm lens mounted, It doesn’t look that big.
6. Grip of the camera feels good. Right side of the camera is designed to fit into hand.
7. steel(not still :)) glossy silver. Steel glossy surface has replaced orange band of the mockup model.
White pearl color.
another information from south korea user
first m4/3 name is E-P1
it mounted 17mm lens (maybe 17mm f2.8)
af speed same as pana G1
color is silver or whiteperl
We receivedÂ this from an anonymous sender.
What with all the not-so-subtle PEN vibes Olympus has been sending out, we are no longer treating this image as a joke!
One more confirmation comes from Korea:
If you want to support our website start your shopping by clicking the links to our partershops (<a href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fsite-directory%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref%255F%3D%255Fgw%255F&tag=&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957″>Amazon US</a><img style=”border:none !important; margin:0px !important;” src=”https://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=&l=ur2&o=1″ border=”0″ alt=”” width=”1″ height=”1″ />, <a href=”http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3398826-10605984″ target=”_top”>B&H Photo</a>,<img src=”http://www.awltovhc.com/image-3398826-10465505″ border=”0″ alt=”” width=”1″ height=”1″ />
Adorama</a>,<a href=”http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3398826-10465505?cm_mmc=CJ-_-2652761-_-3398826-_-Shop%20Calumet%20Photographic” target=”_blank”>Calumet Photographic</a>). It doesn’t cost you anything an the little commission we get will help to sustain our costs and daily work. Many thanks!
Good morning everyone!
In the the past month we released a lot of rumors and now the time has come to make a small summary! At the moment, it doesn’t matter whether you believe us or not. Keep the rumor summary in your mind and in a few weeks/months you can easily see if we were close to reality. But be warned! We are a rumor website and we do not get information from Olympus or Panasonic themselves! There are two main reasons why we could be wrong with rumors:
1) Most rumor sources are new. Â Proof of their veracity will only come with time. With time we hope to become better and better with our “predictions”.
2) Olympus and Panasonic themselves sometimes change the plan. It could be that a rumor is true in the time we posted it, but changes before the real camera or lens is released. An example has been the supposed built-in flash for the Olympus m4/3 camera. We first predicted that there will be a flash but now it seems that Olympus have changed their plans and we will “propably” not see that built-in flash.
Olympus micro four thirds camera and lenses
1) 12 Megapixel
3) No built in flash
4) 3.0 LCD screen
5) 900$ -999$ with kit lens
6) A second more featured camera released end of the year
7) 14-42 kit lens
8) 17 2.8 lens
9) no EVF
10) beige and black?
11) mid-june announcement and second halph of July avaiablity
Panasonic micro four thirds camera
1) A compact micro four thirds camera released before the end of the year
2) 12 Megapixel
3) more advanced than the Olympus compact camera
Leica micro four thirds camera
1) No micro four thirds camera expected for the next two years (we first saw a small chance Leica would join the m4/3 adventure but than realized that this wasn’t true)
Olympus four thirds camera and lenses
1) E-3 successor planned to be released this year.
2) E-3 successor with small changes (E-30 sensor and Art filter).
3) four prime lenses released between end 2009 and early 2010
In summary these are 18 rumors. If we get over 10 rumors right we would be incredibly happy.
What are our goals with the 43rumors website?
1) To gather attention to Olympus and Pansonic products. They make a lot of great products and we believe we have to break the Canon-Nikon media monopoly. Of course our website is only a minimal contribution, but every step counts!
2) Then, we have some wishful thinking. We hope our readers reactions can have some influence on Olympus and Panasonic’s products. Your comments and reactions matter!
Our private 43rumors members goal!
1) Make this website financially sustainable. We wish to get some earnings in order to cover the costs and some private time investments. We have all a real job and a real family. It becomes easier to work on that website on weekends and nights ifÂ people support us.
2) To not only become the rumor refrence number one for Panasonic and Olympus but to creata some real photographic contents. An example? We are planning to make a professional video test between the GH1-Canon 5d-Nikon D90. Than we plan to use the Olmypus micro four thirds camera for a real work in Siberia.
What should be your role?
1) Critizes us. As you may have noticed we listen to you and try to make things better.
2) Report rumors! You can do it by emailing us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by becoming a real 43rumors editor.
3) Support the website by starting your shopping from here (amazon,calumet,bhphoto,adorama and J&rR). That’s free to you and we get commission for that!
4) Put link to us in your forums and blogs!
Many thanks you all!
Alejandro, Marwin, Gastero, Daniel