The Japanese website Newsswitch interviewed Shigemi Sugimoto from Olympus:
- In 2018 we couldn’t launch new products because of the factory relocation
- The policy is now to announce multiple lenses every year from this year.
- We will continue to launch cameras in three areas: entry, middle and high end level.
- A super telephoto lens that reaches 1000mm in FF terms is under development, and it will reach 2000mm with a 2x teleconverter
- True value of MTF lies in scenes where mobility, image stabilization, and tripods cannot be used. It is possible to provide photos with a high degree of freedom that cannot be achieved by other companies.
- E-M1X has introduced many of the world’s first technologies.
- The PEN series has been highly acclaimed by women. The point is how to fight in the mature mirrorless market.
- We are considering automating lens production. There are many areas that require high-precision work and are difficult to replace with robots. Combination with hand action is also difficult.