The following info is from a reliable source:
– The G9 is essential a GH5 in a new case. It shares the same hardware.
– G9 was initially planned to be a 16MP camera
– Initial plan was to release both G9 and GH5 at the same time with G9 focused primary on photographs and GH5 both video and photo.
– Due to availability issues with the new larger viewfinder they decided to launch GH5 first with the “smaller” viewfinder. They thought that a larger viewfinder is more important to photographers than to the movie guys
– Main competitor is Sony and not Olympus. They want to significantly expand the share in photo sector
– The 4K/6K photo modes are not well perceived by photo community thats why they decided to release the high burst modes (which they could have already).
Join our Panasonic G9 Facebook group.