Two days ago I told you that I am getting new rumors about two possible Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras. It may be a good time to remind you some statements made by Akira Watanabe at Amateur Photographer. Here are some of the key info he unveiled:
– The Canon EOS-M is “not a big challenge”
– About the Olympus fee scandal: “It is, at the moment, a management issue and there is no negative or positive impact on development or planning – no impact.”
– About future products: “new system camera technology, to be rolled out in the ‘short term’, would be ‘trickled’ down to future ‘high-end compact cameras”
– And “Basic technology development-wise, we will focus on high-end models and mainly compact system cameras”
– “very big jump’ in the performance of electronic viewfinders” and “At a certain point most people will be satisfied with replacing their optical finder with an EVF”
– “Olympus will ‘accelerate development of high-grade lenses for MFT systems’.”
The key words here are “short term” – “High End models” and “Electronic Viewfinders”. That sums it up what we will see soon (early 2013). What I didn’t hear yet is if Olympus will make some High Grade zooms like the Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 (Click here to see them on eBay) and the 35-100mm f/2.0 (Click here to see them on eBay) Zuiko lenses. From what I heard prime lenses are priority.