Completedigitalphotography.com is giving you the final answer! …or may not? They recommend you the Panasonic GF1. Thom Hogan recommends you the Olympus E-P1, I recommend you to focus the attention on your real needs!
UPDATE: Sadly Calumnet doesn’t have the E-P1 in Stock. In the meanwhile Amazon has the Olympus E-P1 with 14-42mm Lens in Stock for $704.95!.
Click here: Calumet Photographic. Than insert the product code “OM05003K1” in the search box. You will find the deal!
Two new underwater housing has been spotted inside the austrian shop unterwasserkamera.at:
1) Athena is offering a new underwater housing for the Olympus E-P1 (no price details yet). Google translation of the german text:
“High grade aluminum housing for the Olympus Pen E-P1. Athena Change port system (Dome mineral crystal 100, 170, 220mm, Macro Port Focus AF / MF, extension) rings.
Olympus TTL converter built in, dual Nikonos flash socket. No slave control, since the camera has no internal flash. All important functions are available underwater.
Dimensions: 170 x 100 x 100 mm
Weight: about 1.5 kg on land without a camera
Available as of December 2009“
2) 10Bar is offering a new underwater housing for the Panasonic GF1 (790.00EUR!!!). Google translation of the german text:
“10bar housing for the Panasonic DMC-GF1. Equipped with a change of port, slave control, zoom function. Equipped with a change of port, slave control, zoom function. All important functions can be operated UW. All important functions can be operated UW.
The back is made of acrylic, so can also be found all camera functions. The back is made of acrylic, so it can be found all camera functions.
Dive depth 60 meters. Dive depth 60 meters.
Size approx 20 (b) x 15 (h) x 15 (l) cm. Weight of approximately 1100 grams weight
Material: Aluminum / Acrylic
Available mid/late December 2009“
– Olympus E-P1 14-42mm Lens (Silver Body/Black Lens) price drops to $749.95 (You Save: $50.04)
– Olympus E520 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED Zuiko Lenses for $505
– The Panasonic 7-14 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 are in Stock.
– Kirkphoto, the maker of L brackets and other tripod-related gear, lists GF1, EP1 and 20mm 1.7 for discounted sale as “demo” units they used to test for their products. See http://www.kirkphoto.com/Blemished_Demo.html
I am back from Rome and here is a very small selection of photos taken with the evergreen include("buy/e-p1.php"); ?> and not so bad include("buy/17.php"); ?> lens. Photos taken as JPG, cropped and postprocessed via Photoshop and Nik Software. ATTENTION: once clicked on a thumbnail it takes some time until the photo has been loaded.
P.S.: What I learned is that I absolutely have to buy the include("buy/714.php"); ?> (for architecture) and the include("buy/20.php"); ?> (for portraits) lens.