Mr. Uematsu explaining the limits of displacement sensor for stabilization in the body
- Unlike Olympus Panasonic says that optical stabilization is still superior as on sensor stabilization can only correct around 1% of the shifting. That’s enough for wide-angle lenses but not enough for tele lenses. With “extreme” tele lenses you would need a sensor that can shift 20% of its size!
- For this reason, Panasonic plans to continue implementing, despite its cost, optical stabilization in all those objectives that actually exceed the 25 mm focal length.
- The reason why they added in sensor stabilization on the GX8 is that they understand the value of stabilization with legacy lenses
- Panasonic recognizes there is a demand for more “classic” camera with direct controls (like the Fuji X100 or PEN-F).
- Panasonic admits that they had to go above 16MP because of pure “marketing” request.
What are your thoughts on this?