OM Digital had this Japanese live stream session for the CP+ show. DClife summed up the talk and here is the google translated text from it:
OM Digital Statement of Belief
- Independent from Olympus, but to keep customers picking up attractive products
- With the support of Japan Industrial Partners (JIP), we will develop and sell new products as planned so far.
Micro Four Thirds Declaration
- We promise to continue the Micro Four Thirds System
- The company has changed and the company name has changed, but the underlying development philosophy is inherited.
- The idea of Yoneya, who developed “OM” and “PEN”, has been passed down from film to digital and mirrorless.
- Even if it becomes a new company, we will expand the Micro Four Thirds system based on this idea.
Origin and product composition of OM Digital company name
- Just because the company name has “OM” does not mean that it specializes in “OM-D”.
- “Professional dictation products (medical, legal, financial, government-related software)” will continue, mainly overseas, including “PEN”, “Tough”, and “IC recorder”.
- “OM” is the origin that symbolizes our idea
- “OM” is an attitude of always taking on challenges and creating new things.
- “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO” is a product that embodies our thoughts and commitment, and I am truly grateful that we received more responses and orders than expected.
- It is a proof that we have supported our ideas and systems with many customers, and we have great confidence.
Roadmap as planned
- It has taken some time before the delivery of “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO”, but development and manufacturing are proceeding as planned.
- We will continue to introduce attractive lenses and cameras this year along with the lens roadmap updated last summer.
Creating new value
- I talked about the development concept that I inherited from the Olympus era, but I do not simply continue to make the same things as before.
- We will continue our efforts to create new value while maintaining our ideas and attitudes.
- This market is not optimistic, but technology continues to evolve
- The evolution of devices such as sensors and engines, as well as the evolution of control and image processing, will realize new shooting styles.
- New technologies like AI are also important
- We are proud that the powerful IBIS, high-resolution shot, subject recognition AF, etc. are already installed in our compact and lightweight system and contribute to expanding the shooting range of photographers.
- I’m not satisfied with that, and I’m looking ahead to development
- We promise to take over what we will take over for the customers who support us and take on the challenge of new initiatives to further increase the value we provide.
I can’t say forever or forever, but I will use the Olympus logo for the time being.
- For the time being, we will use the Olympus product name with the meaning of the message to our customers who have been using it habitually (the attitude of manufacturing does not change).
- I’m not at the stage where I can talk about such things forever or forever, but I will reassure customers and then change accordingly if a new attitude is needed.
- For the time being, we have received permission to use the name of Olympus, and we plan to use it.
Direction of product manufacturing and technology
- It’s not a technology for technology, but in order to expand the shooting area, I’ve been doing various things until now as to whether I can take pictures that I could not take before.
- If the original image is not good, you cannot take good pictures, so I would like to continue to make “good lenses”, not only good performance but also good lenses that remove restrictions that could not be taken so far.
- I would like to pursue further in the areas of “image processing” and “image recognition”.
- I want to improve my digital technology, rather than computational photography, which makes it easy to take pictures that I couldn’t take without various techniques.
- We are currently doing various preparations to match it, so please look forward to it.
- It is not research for research, but there is an assumed product and we are moving toward it
Independent, free of restrictions, all can be decided by ourselves
- It would be a lie to say that there were no major or minor restrictions in terms of delivering added value.
- There are no restrictions as it is one company from now on
- On the other hand, there are resources that are allowed because it was a large company (Olympus), and of course deficit is not allowed as long as the company becomes independent.
- You can decide for yourself where to spend your budget, where to keep it, and what to offer as a result.
- We are all thinking about whether we can provide new value within the new framework.
I want to utilize the technology in different fields I want to work with various partners
- After having a camera and a lens, there may be something that the manufacturer can offer further.
- Activities that involve photographic culture
- I want to try it because I can decide this area by myself
- We have optical technology, digital technology, and voice technology, and we are interested in a new company that can be diverted to other fields.
- At the time of Olympus, it was difficult to talk about it, but from now on, I can do anything, so I think I can make use of optical technology, digital technology, and voice technology in different fields and genres.
- I would like to work actively with various partners to create new value as needed.
- Previously, Olympus permission was required
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO About supply shortage
- Not meeting demand does not mean that there is a problem
- The number of products produced per day is limited and cannot be delivered.
- I want to make it clear that there is no quality problem
- There is a high demand for individual parts only for lenses that contain 28 lenses in 18 groups and that support a focal length of up to 1000 mm in the 35 mm equivalent.
- A lens that is extremely severe, such as the optical axis, takes time to make parts, and the adjustment process is strict, and structurally requires extremely high precision.
- It’s a flagship lens so you can’t compromise on quality
- Therefore, the amount of lenses that can be made in a day is limited.
- We are steadily producing the fixed amount, so if you wait, you can be sure to get it, and we can promise to deliver good quality products.
- I can’t increase production right now, so I hope you can wait.
150-400mm Message from the development team
- “M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO” is not only a lens with high specs, but also a lens that the development team is very particular about.
- I’m wondering about 1000mm and the 8-step effect of camera shake correction, but I’m developing it with great attention to operability.
- It’s really adjusted in millimeters, so please pick it up and feel the particularity of that area.
Suggesting multiple new products including flagship models Launched to the extent that there is not too much space
- I can’t talk about the specific time
- It’s not just one, but I want to launch various series, lenses, next flagship models, etc. so that there is not too much space between them.
- I will put out something that people can say that it was really good to use
- This is not only enthusiasm, but there are things that are progressing properly according to the schedule
- Please look forward to it!