I have been very silent about the upcoming Olympus E-5. I didn’t give you much news about that camera because we had received conflicting reports. Finally my sources allowed me to tell you why I had received such different rumors.
As I told you in April Olympus made a very last minute decision to not announce any new low and middle class FourThirds DSLR (->The cameras were ready for the worldwide launch!).
In case of the E-5, Olympus tested different prototypes (with different sensors, features and designs). Of course it is normal that a company reviews different camera versions, but what I am telling you is that they only decided a few weeks ago(!) how the camera will look! Even the name wasn’t sure until few weeks ago.
An example? According to our sources Olympus had two prototypes, one working with the Kodak sensor and one working with the new Panasonic sensor. We don’t know what sensor has been choosen but we suspect that Olympus will use the new Panasonic sensor
1) We believe the E-5 will be announced mid-September (14 or 15)
2) The E-5 will be in Stock months later (by end of the year). Reason for the delay could be the new Panasonic sensor which had a longer than expected development history.
3) We don’t expect the new sensor to have an electronic global shutter but two of our sources told us that we should expect a intermediate solution (?)
4) More Megapixels -> 14-16MPX
5) UPDATE: One source told me that it has a more current design (E-30 and E-3) and another source that is very similar to the Olympus OM4ti design (we still need to confirm that part of the rumor). I guess they saw two different prototypes :(
6) A special mount solution (could also use MicroFourThirds lenses?)
We hope to get 99% proof detailled rumors soon!