The japanese website Egami found a new Olympus patent (Google translation doesn’t work very well). I tried to make a small summary:
* Patent publication number 2010-152140 published on 2010/07/08 and filled 2008/12/25
The following patent discloses an adapter (in blue) that adds phase detection and optical viewfinder to current MicroFourThirds cameras. This is not a new concept, we already saw that with the Leica Visoflex (click here to see the Visoflex on eBay).
Such an adapter makes sense because phase detection autofocus is still much faster than the current contrast autofocus system of MicroFourThirds cameras. And not few of us will like the idea to have an optical viewfinder instead of the sometimes noisy and not good enough electronic viewfinder.
That could be also the final solution to merge FourThirds and MicroFourThirds (but that’s just speculation for now!).
With all those rumors I don’t want my readers to get lost
It’s time for a brief rumors summary! The following roadmap is made based on rumors from good sources (and hopefully no mistakes that time):
- July 21 Panasonic LX5, FX700, FZ100 (and probably more compacts) -> Keep an eye on the new LX5 sensor and the FZ100 video quality!
- July 28 The first Panasonic 3D videocamera will be released?
- Late August-early September Panasonic GH2, a second very compact MFT camera (a very special camera that many will like!) , new MFT lenses (14mm f/2.5, 100-300mm and more?) and the MFT camcorder.
- Mid September FourThirds camera (with special mount), new PEN (built-in EVF), many new MFT lenses (more about that in next posts)
Other interesting rumors/speculations:
- Early September Sigma and Tamron MFT lenses?
And there could be more cameras and lenses! So follow 43rumors and share your news/rumors via firstname.lastname@example.org
One more thing: If all works fine a new mirrorless website will go online next week…stay tuned!
Normally I wouldn’t post that “rumor” but I received many emails about the zol.com E-5 leak (It is exaggerated to call it “leak”). The Zol.com website is known for their unreliable “leaks” (they leaked the NEX specs). They usually use current rumors (and the NEX specs were almost correct because they used a correct SonyAlphaRumors leak). So be warned!
A stop motion video taken with the Panasonic GF1
Olympus E-PL1 In Depth Review (Neutralday)
Panasonic 8mm preview on DC.watch
Olympus SP-800UZ review at PocketLink
Sony NEX-5 vs Panasonic GF1 (DPreview forum)
Support our website! When you click on those links it doesn’t matter what you buy (book, CD’s or electronic items) we get a small commission for it and you don’t pay any penny more! Thanks
US shops: Amazon US / BHphoto / Adorama / J&R / Calumet Photographic for digital cameras /