Digicaminfo confirmed the rumors we posted days ago and also got the info that the new upcoming Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens will come without the hood! You have to buy it separately for 65oo Yen (64 Euro or 82 Dollars). Now, to be honest, the 17mm f/1.8 is priced at 550 Euro also much less than 900 Euro asked for the other lens that comes without hood…the Olympus 75mm 1.8 lens. So it may be that Olympus prefers to sell the lens cheaper without hood and leave you the choice to add a hood or not. For the 75mm lens you can alreayd buy some cheap hoods at US ($7 on amazon), US ($32 better quality), Germany (ebay) and Hong Kong (ebay).
The 17mm f/1.8 lens characteristics are:
Exterior made of metal
Nine elements in 6 groups
46mm filter size
35,5mm length, 57.5mm maximum diameter, 120g weight
release in mid December for around 550 Euro or 50.000 Yen.
Rumors classification explained (FT= FourThirds):
FT1=1-20% chance the rumor is correct
FT2=21-40% chance the rumor is correct
FT3=41-60% chance the rumor is correct
FT4=61-80% chance the rumor is correct
FT5=81-99% chance the rumor is correct
Olympus 75mm 1.8 Lens alternatives (if you don’t care about the missing autofocus and electronic contacts):
1) Dallmeyer 75mm f/1.9 (Here on eBay). This is an extremely expensive lens and I don’t know why it is so. Only crazy guys would buy that 🙂
2) Leica Summilux 75mm f/1.4 (Here on eBay). Extraordinary high quality lens for an extraordinary price (although it’s still less expensive than the mysterious Dallmeyer). It’s the fastest of all 75mm lenses
3) Zeiss Biotar 75mm f/1.5 (Here on eBay). Fast and also a bit exotic lens made for the Exacta series.
4) Leica Summarit 75mm f/2.5 (Here on eBay). High quality and relatively compact lens. A bit slow compared to the Olympus (f/2.5).
5) Voigtlander Heliar 75mm f/1.8 (Here on eBay). Probably the best alternative of the new Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens. Same aperture, superb high quality and cheaper.
6) Fujinon 75mm f/1.8 (Here on eBay). This is a very cheap TV lens and I don’t expect the quality to be very good. I wouldn’t buy that unlike your really need that focal length and you have a very low budget.