For Micro Four Third shooters, rejoice, the ultra wide angle Olympus M.Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens is indeed a stellar performer. The lens delivers sharp images, with plenty of detail resolving power. All technical flaws you can think of about a wide angle lens are well controlled and suppressed. There really is nothing much to not like about this lens. If you need a high performing ultra wide angle lens, there is currently no better option than this M.Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 PRO lens.
Alessandro Carpentiero (Click here) had the chance to test both new PRO lenses. About the 7-14mm lens he writes:
- Incredible build quality
- The lens is very linear with a basically absent distortion: lines are very straight, making it THE lens for architectures, interiors, ecc. It does tend to stretch a bit the edges, but that’s part of the game.
- Razor sharp: seriously. I dare you to find a 14mm 2.8 lens with these edges.
- Chromatic phenomenon: Chromatic aberration is very well controlled thanks to 3 Super ED lenses, 1 ED lens and 2 EDA lenses, while the ZERO (Zuiko Extra-Low Reflective Optical), while Coating aids in minimizing ghosting.
- Interesting bokeh: I know, wide-angle lenses are not famous (nor bought) for their bokeh, but I believe this can be an “extra bonus” for this lens. The minimum focusing distance is just 7.5cm (you really gotta be careful not to touch the subject with the lens aspherical lens) and you can have very interesting results.
And about the 8mm he writes:
- Incredible build quality. Yes, Olympus is doing a really great job with its PRO lenses. The building quality is wonderful for all of them.
- The lens distortion is very much present but well, it’s the main feature of this lens.
- It looks sharp also at f/1.8.
- Chromatic aberration was a little visible at f/1.8, but easily fixable with one click in Camera Raw.
- Bokeh: the minimum working distance is just 2.5cm (really really close). This makes it interesting for creative uses.
Plenty of image samples can be seen on Alessandro Carpentiero website.
New Olympus stuff preorder links:
7-14mm f/2.8 PRO lens: Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, GetOlympus, WexUK, AmazonUK, AmazonDE,
8mm f/1.8 PRO lens: Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, GetOlympus, WexUK, AmazonUK, AmazonDE,
Titanium E-M5II: Amazon, Adorama, BHphoto, GetOlympus, WexUK.
7-14mm Olympus LC-79 Lens Cap at BHphoto.
Olympus PPO-EP02 Dome Port for 8mm at BHphoto.
Olympus PPZR-EP05 Focus Gear for 8mm at BHphoto.
Olympus POSR-EP10 UW Anti-Reflecting Ring for 8mm at BHphoto.