Finally Olympus announced the new 75mm f/1.8 Micro Four Thirds lens. The announcement was first scheduled for last Tuesday but it had been delayed because of some lens firmware issues. And Olympus decided in very last minute to release it today Keep watching this post for updates!
Not available yet at Amazon (Click here). Should arrive soon!
MTF curves offered by Olympus (Click here) show correction of astigmatism is almost perfect, the contrast (blue lines) is very high and very even center to corner, and that the resolution (red lines) is of similar rank. Image samples are available at Olympus Japan. The price in dollar is $899. But there seems to be a bit of confusion on the European price. 800 according to DSLRmagazine, 900 according to Quesabesde and 949 Euro according to Systemkameraforum. Same confusion in Japan…It’s also on Yodobashi for 99,000 yen and on Map Camera for 89,000 yen. I guess that’s why we had the not so correct rumor about the $799 price. Wrong prices are floating around the web
Here in short the lens specs:
• 75mm focal length (equivalent to 150mm in the 35mm film format)
• F1.8 aperture with circular blades
• 3 ED and 2 HR lens elements
• Premium multi-coating using Olympus ZERO lens coating technology
• High speed, silent focusing with MSC lens drive technology
• All metal barrel
• Precision manual focus ring
• Compatible with all Micro-Four Thirds standard mount cameras
• Portraiture, Fashion, Stage, Sports and low- light photography applications
• Expected availability in June/July 2012
Systemkameraforum (german). They actually say the price in Euro is 949! Hope it’s just a mistake.
Full Lens PDF at Olympus Australia
DSLRmagazine (google translation here)
There are no reviews yet but the MTF curves promises that this is a very high quality lens. The only downsided are the price in USA which is $899 (no 1:! conversion rate with the European 799 Euro price) and the fact that you have to pay extra money for the metal hood. Here is the Question: